This is my current favorite breakfast. You can eat it hot (as I have been during these frigid winter days) or chilled (overnight oats style). It clocks in at around 500 calories and 33g protein (400 calories and 18g protein if you omit protein powder) so it keeps me full a solid 5 hours until lunch.
I tend to use a 100 calories/hour gauge to see how much food I need to make it to the next meal time. So for example, if I eat breakfast at 7a, I need a solid 500 calories to get to a normal noontime lunch without whining that I need a snack. I cringe when I see people eating their bullshit bowl of 90-calorie Special K. Are you out of your mind? I’m hungry for you.
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional – I use Garden of Life RAW Protein Powder)
- 1 – 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk (depends on the consistency you want)
- toppings: blueberries, almond butter, cacao nibs
I mash the banana first and then pour in everything but the toppings. Stir to combine. If you’re eating it chilled, let it sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes. For hot, microwave it for about 2 minutes. Add optional toppings and enjoy. (A note on the blueberries: I use frozen blueberries microwaved for one minute so they’re juicy.)
You could also add sweetener if you want but I think the fruit is enough.
So good. I want it right now.