Bon Appetit is just the absolute most beautiful food magazine out there. I love stalking them (and all of their editors) on assorted social outlets and have been dying over their January toast spread. (See what I did there?)
If you love fancy toast as much as I do you would be well served to browse the #BAtoast hashtag on Instagram for reader submitted photos and some drool-worthy BA toast video tutorials.
You would also be well served to toast a piece of bread, slather it in ricotta cheese and cover that in lentils simmered with basil and cherry tomatoes. Here’s how.
Basil Lentils over Ricotta Toast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 package of steamed lentils
- 2 cups chopped cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried basil (fresh is great if you’ve got it)
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste (I go light since the stock is salty)
- 1 piece of bread of choice
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- Warm olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and basil to the onions and cook for a couple minutes just to combine. Then add the lentils. (I usually start from scratch with dried lentils but had these steamed lentils on hand so I went with that.)
- Pour in vegetable stock. You want just enough to combine all the ingredients but not a soup.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes and get going on your toast.
- Spread ricotta cheese on toast and top with lentils. ENJOY!
If you’re vegan you could use a vegan cheese of your choosing or just use hummus. As a friendly reminder, the legume + grain (lentil + bread) combo here creates a complete vegetarian protein so you could certainly bypass the cheese if you wanted to.
And just in case you’re not also in love with Bon Appetit, just look at this gorgeous cover…