Let’s welcome summer with long days and hot sand and vegan dark chocolate-covered coconut ice cream drumsticks topped with walnuts.
As easily distracted as I am when it comes to major life decisions like careers and homes and men, I have a one-track mind when it comes to food. If we’re talking edibles, I want what I want when I want it and nothing else will do. So when my mom mentioned drumsticks over our weekend on Isle of Palms, I locked on to the nostalgic summer treat like, uh, me on a drumstick.
I’m always sad when people think their dietary choices (whether clinically diagnosed or voluntarily selected) limit their food options. These days there are substitutions for everything, making it easy to eat gluten-free, vegan, paleo and so on. So rather than buy good old original Drumsticks, I decided to make a vegan version at home.
Vegan Dark Chocolate-Covered Coconut Ice Cream Drumsticks with Walnuts
- 6 organic ice cream cones
- 1 pint vegan coconut milk ice cream
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine chocolate chips with 1/4 cup almond milk and microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Fill each ice cream cone with enough chocolate to coat the inside. Store upside down on a cookie sheet until chocolate sets (about 5 minutes). There will be lots of chocolate left over. Save it for later.
- Fill chocolate-coated ice cream cones with ice cream, forming a dome on the top. Return to the freezer to allow ice cream to set (about 10 minutes).
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of almond milk to remaining melted chocolate and return to microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until it creates a smoother, thinner chocolate sauce for dipping ice cream cones.
- Dip each ice cream cone into the chocolate and then into the walnuts
- Store upright in short glasses in the freezer until chocolate sets.
- Transfer each ice cream cone to individual plastic bags for long-term storage.