Here we are at the end of January, and ’tis the season for bitter singles everywhere to drunk dial their exes. Even when I’m unattached, Valentine’s Day remains one of my favorite holidays. I wouldn’t say I’ve had any earth-shattering adult romances on the fourteenth of February but I do have very fond childhood memories of handing out cards to everyone in class. And my mom would make us a special breakfast with assorted heart-shaped things. I always liked that.
So I guess I like the nostalgia of it all. Plus, the way I see it, what could possibly be wrong with another excuse to eat some chocolate? Nothin‘.
I’ve been wanting to make vegan caramel for a while now, which I attempted and failed to do here. The date + cashew combination wasn’t caramel-y but did turn into a killer salty-sweet filling that just begs to be enrobed in chocolate. (Most things in my mind beg to be enrobed in chocolate.) It’s a bit of a tedious process-prepare, freeze, prepare, freeze, prepare, freeze–but it’s worth it.
Vegan Cashew Cream Chocolates
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup pitted medijool dates
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 2 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1/2 cup almond milk, divided
- Soak cashews and dates in water for 2-3 hours. Drain and discard water.
- In a blender or food processor, combine soaked cashews, dates, maple syrup, vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons almond milk and process until smooth. It will take about five minutes.
- Spoon cashew cream onto parchment paper and roll out into a thin disk. Place in the freezer to set at least 3 hours.
- After cashew cream sets into a solid disk, prepare chocolate coating.
- Combine half of the chocolate chips, coconut oil and almond milk in a bowl and microwave for 45 seconds. Stir to combine until smooth. Pour chocolate over the cashew cream disk, smooth out, and return to the freezer to set.
- After top chocolate layer is set, flip the disk over and repeat step #5 to coat the bottom with chocolate. Return to the freezer again to set.
- After chocolate is set, cut your chocolates into squares, hearts or any shape you want.
Here’s what your chocolates will look like in the assembly phase… It’s important that you let your cat help.