Good Caturday morning, kittens. Ralph spent the entire night ripping all the ornaments off the tree and running sprints from one end of the apartment to the other so I slept like a rock (false).
She’s training for Christmas day, clearly.
We (being me and three cats) put the tree up this week and everyone appears to be appropriately in awe. Christmas trees never go over very well in my house mostly because they fall over really easily with the addition of cats. Having seen the exact same fake tree go up in my parents’ house for 28 years (seriously, it’s the same one they’ve had since the dawn of time), I’ve always been on Team Artificial. This is the first year I’ve ever purchased my own real tree and I’m happy to report that its heftier weight on a sturdier base seems to be the answer to avoiding cat attacks.
Aaaaand just as soon as I typed that I decided to see if pine trees are poisonous for cats and sure enough I immediately regret my decision:
“Live, cut Christmas trees can be deadly for cats. Pine needles can be ingested and puncture intestines, and pine is highly toxic to cats, potentially causing liver damage and death. Additionally, the water that cut trees are placed into is toxic. It usually contains pine resin, preservatives and fire retardants. Fire retardants are sprayed on artificial and live trees and pose a potential danger. A 2007 study published by the Environmental Protection Agency linked fire retardants to thyroid disease in cats and possibly humans.” – Cat Channel
Very well. I’ll be throwing that away now.
Anyway, I can’t know for sure, but I do suspect this might be Tilly’s first Christmas tree. She’s particularly fond of sitting under it.
Weaz is gearing up for her 6th Christmas but she doesn’t know it because I’m pretty sure her memory erases every hour or so. Here she is thinking she’s seeing ornaments for the first time (again):