We’re about to take a major leap of faith here, and you’re just going to have to trust me Jack-and-Rose style. We’re going to put fruit in your guacamole and serve it with sugar-dusted, cranberry-studded pita chips, and you (and all your holiday party guests) are going to love it. Fa la la la la, la la la guac.
Holiday Guacamole with Grapefruit and Pomegranate Seeds
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove minced garlic (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- juice of half a grapefruit
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Carefully halve avocados and scoop flesh into a large mixing bowl
- Add tomatoes, onions, garlic and pomegranate seeds to the bowl and thoroughly mash everything together. (You can use a fork to do this, but I did a very quick run with an immersion blender to speed it along. Seriously only about 5 seconds so it stays chunky. Nothing grosser than totally smooth guacamole.)
- Squeeze grapefruit juice into the bowl. Add hot sauce and salt & pepper to your liking. Adjust quantities to your spiciness/saltiness preference.
- Serve with sliced vegetables and the best damn pita chips of all time (see below).
I made this for a party at my friend Jen’s house last night and brought along rainbow carrots, celery sticks and cranberry pumpkin seed pita chips for dipping.
The dip is damn good and the carrots are pretty and all, but the star of the show were the pita chips that my friend Joe made…
I actually didn’t know the pita chips were going to be dusted with sugar when I bought them. I thought they’d be more of a savory interpretation that would actually make sense with guacamole. But “making sense” is not always my forte so (again) just trust me on this one: it just worked.
In the life department, I had a fun work week of general chaos (the good kind) with a few pops of social outings that filled my soul.
I’m really incredibly lucky to be the geographically closest next of kin to little miss Charlotte Elizabeth. I plan to take my first role as an aunt very seriously and steal her whenever possible.
After spending Friday afternoon babysitting the niece nugget, I got to attend the grand opening of Tupelo Honey Cafe with my favorite social butterflies.
I’m off to bake for a cookie exchange party I’m attending tonight and probably warm my Scrooge-y Grinch heart and put up some damn Christmas decorations.