I don’t know about you, but I don’t know how to successfully make puff pastry and/or pie crust (and as long as we’re talking culinary shortcomings, yeast-leavened breads are also a no go). So pre-made frozen puff pastry is in my opinion a no harm, no foul shortcut that saves time, energy and sanity.
You can also stuff it with any sweet or savory thing your heart desires like cinnamon apples, spinach and cheese, figs with goat cheese and honey, PB&J, and so on forever. Let’s start with apples.
Easy Apple Pockets
- 3 small apples, diced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or as indicated on baking instructions)
- Remove your puff pastry from the freezer at least an hour in advance to give it time to thaw
- Warm coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat
- Add diced apples and saute until tender
- Add almond milk and spices and simmer until liquid is almost evaporated and natural sugars from the apples have started to caramelize
- Cut thawed pastry into 12-16 squares. Top half the squares with cinnamon apples and then place the remaining pastry squares on top. Use a fork to score the edges and seal your pockets.
- Bake pockets for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown (or as indicated on baking instructions)