In a season when sweet potatoes are ruthlessly smothered under a blanket of molten hot marshmallow lava, I thought it might be fair to do something savory with the South’s favorite root vegetable. Don’t get me wrong; I like a charred marshmallow topping that counts as a vegetable as much as the next red-blooded American. I’m just saying when a vegetable has “sweet” in the name, it’s easy to forget that we can spice things up every once in a while.
And who doesn’t need a little spicing up every now and then, am I right? As one who left a bar in South Carolina last night at midnight only to drive two hours across state lines in order to sleep in my own bed (and not be in a loud crowded bar), I nod my head enthusiastically in the affirmative.
Spicy Coconut Sweet Potato Hummus
This hummus is the jam. It embodies the holy trinity of food flavors–sweet, salty and subtly spicy–and will make your friends be like, “Where can I buy this?” Doubly awesome, of course, is the fact that it is easy as all hell to make AND you can still eat marshmallow-covered sweet potato casserole as a side because this is clearly just an appetizer. I recommend using whatever your favorite hot sauce is. Since I am admittedly weak and terrible in the heat department, mine is on the mild side.
- 2 small sweet potatoes, baked
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup unsweetened original almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons hot sauce
- Scoop out the flesh from baked sweet potatoes. (I actually just microwaved mine on the “potato” setting for about 4 minutes until soft.)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth
- Optional: Garnish with extra hot sauce
- Eat immediately (likely) or store in an air tight container in the fridge
You can eat this on and/or with just about anything–carrot and celery sticks, crackers, and my personal favorite so far: barbecue potato chips. I don’t recommend topping it with broiled marshmallows but hey, I lead a pretty boring and safe life.