When people tell me they hate Brussels sprouts all I can think is, “Oh, you poor sheltered thing.” much the same way I would react to someone telling me they’ve never been out of the country or seen Schindler’s List or witnessed a cat giving birth. Have you never lived?
Just kidding about cats giving birth. No one needs to see that. Or have it happen in a laundry basket in their lap. Trust me on this one.
The reason people hate Brussels sprouts is because all they know of them are the boiled-to-death mushy blobs their moms used to force them to eat before they could have dessert. Let’s stop doing that.
My mom can (and will) correct me if I’m wrong, but I have absolutely no recollection of ever getting in parent-against-child battles over vegetable consumption. Until I became a vegetarian, of course, at which point everyone was like, “TOO MANY VEGETABLES, KATIE.” Certainly my brother battled to the death over vegetables because he announced at a very young age that he would never eat anything orange or green (he still doesn’t, I’d venture to guess), but not me. I’m the best one. I suppose I also don’t ever remember being offered a Brussels sprout, though, so perhaps this argument is null. There was this one time my dad offered me $100 to eat a calamari and I was like, “Absolutely not.” If the child-sized version of myself had the adult-sized bills I have these days, I probably would’ve taken him up on it.
Is this post about Brussels sprouts?
SO YES… The solution to your Brussels sprout aversion is to stop boiling them. This is a terrible idea and should be banned in all kitchens across the globe. The best way to prepare Brussels sprouts is to roast them to a golden, crispy char.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- All the Brussels sprouts you can stand, halved
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees (high heat, better char)
- Cut off the stems of the Brussels sprouts and then cut them in half
- Drizzle olive oil over a baking sheet and arrange Brussels cut side down
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the bottom side browns
- Flip Brussels over and bake 5-8 more minutes
- Season with salt and perhaps more olive oil
- Shovel into your face whilst standing over the stove