We hosted a little adoption fair at the studio today for Halfway There Rescue and I felt compelled to bring some people treats to distract me from the fact that I’m not allowed to have anymore pets.
When I’m baking for a crowd (especially of yogis) I like to try to make something accessible to as many different dietary limitations as possible, which is how I ended up with this dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, peanut-free, egg-free, chocolate-free chocolate chip cookie. Whew. Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it.
Carob Chip Cookies
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds + 3 tablespoons warm water + 1/2 teaspoon cornstach (replaces 1 egg)
- 1 cup carob chips
- In a small bowl, combine chia seeds, water and cornstarch and set aside to form chia “egg”
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine coconut flour, baking soda and salt
- In a separate bowl cream together coconut oil (should be solid at room temperature), sugar vanilla extract and chia “egg”
- Stir in carob chips
- Spoon out dough in heaping 1 tablespoon portions, roll into balls and then flatten into cookies
- Arrange cookies on a greased or parchment line baking sheet
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes
I brought in a plate of these cookies with some dark chocolate truffles and they were gone before you could say: TAKE ME HOME.
I succeeded in not bringing any puppies home, but I do think I convinced Adam to get Sarge (the blind puppy above). So that’s kind of like following the rules.