If you were part of the healthy living blog heyday of 2009, you are well acquainted with what I am about to present. I ate this breakfast–a combination of “banana soft serve” and “overnight oats” inspired by Angela Liddon’s vegan oat parfaits–every single day for probably a year. It was just absurd. I know banana soft serve was everywhere at the time, but I first saw it on Choosing Raw so I’m crediting Gena as the founder. I hadn’t had it in a very long time so I felt this morning a fitting time for a throwback…
There is truly no limit to what you can do with this simple base recipe. Add an array of frozen fruit or nut butter to your banana soft serve to create countless flavor combinations. Mix anything you want into your oats–nuts, dried fruit, chia seeds, etc. There are really no rules. I’ll point out that I use unsweetened almond milk to soak my oats and don’t add sweetener but you could always add honey or maple syrup. For a step-by-step tutorial on how to make banana soft serve, you can see my old bog here.
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, optional
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- peanut butter and coconut chips to garnish, optional
- Combine oats, almond milk, chia seeds, cinnamon and any other mix ins you want into a bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (Some people do this overnight.)
- When you’re ready to eat, cut your frozen banana into chunks (carefully!) and puree in a food processor with peanut butter until smooth. It turns into a smooth, creamy “soft serve.” (Huh? See a banana soft serve tutorial.)
- Layer oats and banana soft serve in a glass and top with peanut butter and coconut chips.